Thursday, May 15, 2008

Instant wet dream classic

Photo:coolsupercars.com

A fellow blogger, Chris Hafner, let out a post about the original McLaren F1. My professor Scott Abel (the nemesis responsible for nearly every blog that starts in BFM) sent me the link to the post. I thought I'd send him a thank you E-mail, but it came out too long, so I thought I'd post it as well.

Hey, that's almost as good a race car as this: http://estcar.blogspot.com/2008/05/true-rally-car.html

Well, just kidding. The original McLarenF1 has been a wet dream for every petrolhead I suppose.
I'd like to point out tho, that this guy got one thing very very wrong. He said that it's surprising McLaren used power by BMW instead of they usual supplier, Mercedes. The car started in 1992.

Here are McLaren's engine suppliers throughout 1992-1995:
1992: Honda
1993: Ford
1994: Lamborghini (indeed, a V12, but chrysler was producing those at the time, so they were quite sluggish), later Peugeot
1995: Mercedes

So thank god, they took a BMW engine, otherwise you'd have a Honda-powered MC (good at 0-60, able to rev up to a millio rpm, yet slow as hell on higher speeds), a Ford or Chrysler/Lambo produced MC (a powerful engine capable of exhausting Saudi-Arabia with just a trip to the shop), or a Mercedes engine from the early to mid 1990s (there is a reason why 190E was the best they had to offer, and I'm not talking about the purple body).

No comments: