Wednesday, May 7, 2008

What the hell happened in Tallinn?

Photo: Tricia Ares


I was driving to a meeting in Kadriorg today. I was driving there from my house in Nõmme. It's about 20 kilometres there, but it tooks me exactly 80 minutes. 65 of which was spent on a strip of about 7 kilometres. I have not seen Tallinn so stuck since G.W. Bush blessed us with his presence and the Police turned the town centre into spookyville.

My friend spent exactly an hour going from Mustamäe to Kadriorg. It usually takes about 20-30 minutes during rush hour. I myself left home calculating that I should be able to spend ten minutes before the meeting chatting to people. Instead, I was 35 minutes late. What went wrong?

2 comments:

Martin said...

It takes a good hour to reach from Stockmann to õismäe during a rush. And that is if you take a shortcut(lots of side streets)worth about 1/2 of Liivalaia street. Around 3A.M(or any other time people are not at the streets going home) the same trip takes around 15minutes.
Funny thing is that most of the time spent getting road rage during a rush hour passes between City center and Kristiine.

Karl said...

Well, it is usually possible to do the trip it took me 80 minutes in 25 during rush hour, as I said. Using shortcuts. Today it was just mayhem. I always keep away from Liivalaia and other large streets and intersections. Tallinn, it seems, is too long. In other big towns it is possible to rush to a suburb, take the large roundabout around town and enter the other side of the centre. We here have got a little something called the sea stopping us from that, unfortunately.